Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Thursday, Nov 15, 2018
NellyData
LATEST DISCUSSIONS
Treasury Bills and Bonds [1001]
Homeownership journeys [23]
We are direct providers of Fresh Cut BG, SBLC [2]
Kenya Airways...why ignore.. [11311]
Madness at the NSE [1608]
KCB 2018 and Beyond [102]
Kenya Economy Watch [1932]
What are you reading .... [6]
Insightful take on Nairobi Real Estate [119]
Cytonn looks to list on GEMS [214]
Exchange Bar: Results forecast [1708]
Equity Group HY 2018 [32]
Kiambu raises land rates by 300% [27]
Timber Roofing options [1]
Kenya Power FY 2017/2018 [139]
 
Forum Jump


Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
Safaricom HY 2018/2019
Ericsson
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 9:29:39 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 5,671
Location: NAIROBI
Safaricom Half Year Results will be announced this Friday 2nd Nov 2018
murchr
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 1:39:57 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/26/2012
Posts: 13,590
2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
.
Ericsson
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 2:54:40 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 5,671
Location: NAIROBI
murchr wrote:
2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread


@murchr its 2018/2019 sir.
murchr
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 3:31:29 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/26/2012
Posts: 13,590
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread


@murchr its 2018/2019 sir.


Quote:

Accounting period that can start on any day of a calendar year but has twelve consecutive months (52 consecutive weeks) at the end of which account books are closed, profit or loss is computed, and financial reports are prepared for filing. It may or may not match a calendar year. Called fiscal year in the US.

So a company with a fiscal year that begins April 1, 2017, and ends March 31, 2018 refers to that period as fiscal year 2018, even though it starts in 2017.


I know it doesnt matter but from a professional perspective it is not right. Fiscal Year or financial year 18 is gone. The Safaricom new year started in May
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
.
VituVingiSana
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 3:47:08 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 14,908
Location: Nairobi
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread


@murchr its 2018/2019 sir.


Quote:

Accounting period that can start on any day of a calendar year but has twelve consecutive months (52 consecutive weeks) at the end of which account books are closed, profit or loss is computed, and financial reports are prepared for filing. It may or may not match a calendar year. Called fiscal year in the US.

So a company with a fiscal year that begins April 1, 2017, and ends March 31, 2018 refers to that period as fiscal year 2018, even though it starts in 2017.


I know it doesnt matter but from a professional perspective it is not right. Fiscal Year or financial year 18 is gone. The Safaricom new year started in May
No, it did not start in May. FY2018-19 started on 1st April 2018.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
murchr
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 3:50:31 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/26/2012
Posts: 13,590
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread


@murchr its 2018/2019 sir.


Quote:

Accounting period that can start on any day of a calendar year but has twelve consecutive months (52 consecutive weeks) at the end of which account books are closed, profit or loss is computed, and financial reports are prepared for filing. It may or may not match a calendar year. Called fiscal year in the US.

So a company with a fiscal year that begins April 1, 2017, and ends March 31, 2018 refers to that period as fiscal year 2018, even though it starts in 2017.


I know it doesnt matter but from a professional perspective it is not right. Fiscal Year or financial year 18 is gone. The Safaricom new year started in May
No, it did not start in May. FY2018-19 started on 1st April 2018.



Fair enough, but FY19 not 18-19 there are no double year numbering in the serious financial world
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
.
Ericsson
#7 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 8:19:32 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 5,671
Location: NAIROBI
Half year profits before tax at ksh.44.6bn up 18.7%
Profit after tax at sh.31.6bn
watesh
#8 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 8:39:28 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 8/10/2014
Posts: 692
Location: Kenya
That data revenue growth got battered.....mpesa revenue though,PHENOMENAL
Ericsson
#9 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 1:51:57 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 5,671
Location: NAIROBI
They have alot of cash which they are investing some in government securities to earn an income.
In the 6 months period they earned ksh.1.54bn in form of finance income
murchr
#10 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 3:38:14 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/26/2012
Posts: 13,590
Safaricom Half Year Numbers:

~ Service Revenue +7.7% to Sh 118.2Bn

~ Net Income +20.2% to Sh 31.5Bn

~ M-Pesa +18.02%

~ Mobile Data +10.8%

~ Fixed Data +21.00%

~ Fiber 5500 Km

~ 29.94 Mn Customers

Beating from data? ~ Know your customer.



"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
.
Ebenyo
#11 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 4:51:10 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 4/4/2016
Posts: 1,368
Location: Kitale
Ericsson wrote:
Half year profits before tax at ksh.44.6bn up 18.7%
Profit after tax at sh.31.6bn



Full year results will be kshs 63 bn
Towards the goal of financial freedom
VituVingiSana
#12 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 7:14:07 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 14,908
Location: Nairobi
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread


@murchr its 2018/2019 sir.


Quote:

Accounting period that can start on any day of a calendar year but has twelve consecutive months (52 consecutive weeks) at the end of which account books are closed, profit or loss is computed, and financial reports are prepared for filing. It may or may not match a calendar year. Called fiscal year in the US.

So a company with a fiscal year that begins April 1, 2017, and ends March 31, 2018 refers to that period as fiscal year 2018, even though it starts in 2017.


I know it doesnt matter but from a professional perspective it is not right. Fiscal Year or financial year 18 is gone. The Safaricom new year started in May
No, it did not start in May. FY2018-19 started on 1st April 2018.



Fair enough, but FY19 not 18-19 there are no double year numbering in the serious financial world
Whatever floats your boat but I was just pointing out that Safaricom's current FY started on 1st April 2018.

I expected a +10% YOY EPS and this was +19%. I hope they can maintain the growth in net turnover even after the increase in VAT/taxes.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
murchr
#13 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 7:16:05 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/26/2012
Posts: 13,590
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread


@murchr its 2018/2019 sir.


Quote:

Accounting period that can start on any day of a calendar year but has twelve consecutive months (52 consecutive weeks) at the end of which account books are closed, profit or loss is computed, and financial reports are prepared for filing. It may or may not match a calendar year. Called fiscal year in the US.

So a company with a fiscal year that begins April 1, 2017, and ends March 31, 2018 refers to that period as fiscal year 2018, even though it starts in 2017.


I know it doesnt matter but from a professional perspective it is not right. Fiscal Year or financial year 18 is gone. The Safaricom new year started in May
No, it did not start in May. FY2018-19 started on 1st April 2018.



Fair enough, but FY19 not 18-19 there are no double year numbering in the serious financial world
Whatever floats your boat but I was just pointing out that Safaricom's current FY started on 1st April 2018.



Are you saying you actually missed the point i was putting across but felt you had to be combative? Shame on you You can only do that with Obiero.

Back to the books HY19 was fabulous.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
.
VituVingiSana
#14 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 7:18:24 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 14,908
Location: Nairobi
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread


@murchr its 2018/2019 sir.


Quote:

Accounting period that can start on any day of a calendar year but has twelve consecutive months (52 consecutive weeks) at the end of which account books are closed, profit or loss is computed, and financial reports are prepared for filing. It may or may not match a calendar year. Called fiscal year in the US.

So a company with a fiscal year that begins April 1, 2017, and ends March 31, 2018 refers to that period as fiscal year 2018, even though it starts in 2017.


I know it doesnt matter but from a professional perspective it is not right. Fiscal Year or financial year 18 is gone. The Safaricom new year started in May
No, it did not start in May. FY2018-19 started on 1st April 2018.



Fair enough, but FY19 not 18-19 there are no double year numbering in the serious financial world
Whatever floats your boat but I was just pointing out that Safaricom's current FY started on 1st April 2018.



Are you saying you actually missed the point i was putting across but felt you had to be combative? Shame on you You can only do that with Obiero.

Back to the books HY19 was fabulous.
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly I did modify my comments...
I noticed the CAPEX was equal to the Depreciation [+/- 1bn] but I need to look at this in further detail.
What suffered?
Voice is still profitable but data is where the real growth is...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
murchr
#15 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 7:27:40 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/26/2012
Posts: 13,590
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread


@murchr its 2018/2019 sir.


Quote:

Accounting period that can start on any day of a calendar year but has twelve consecutive months (52 consecutive weeks) at the end of which account books are closed, profit or loss is computed, and financial reports are prepared for filing. It may or may not match a calendar year. Called fiscal year in the US.

So a company with a fiscal year that begins April 1, 2017, and ends March 31, 2018 refers to that period as fiscal year 2018, even though it starts in 2017.


I know it doesnt matter but from a professional perspective it is not right. Fiscal Year or financial year 18 is gone. The Safaricom new year started in May
No, it did not start in May. FY2018-19 started on 1st April 2018.



Fair enough, but FY19 not 18-19 there are no double year numbering in the serious financial world
Whatever floats your boat but I was just pointing out that Safaricom's current FY started on 1st April 2018.



Are you saying you actually missed the point i was putting across but felt you had to be combative? Shame on you You can only do that with Obiero.

Back to the books HY19 was fabulous.
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly I did modify my comments...
I noticed the CAPEX was equal to the Depreciation [+/- 1bn] but I need to look at this in further detail.
What suffered?
Voice is still profitable but data is where the real growth is...


SMS revenue suffered but i had a growth of 1.2% not bad given that people are not texting much anyway.

I heard just a tit bit about masoko and its integration to MPESA (didn't get the chance to listen to the whole presentation) but am waiting for the whole presentation to be loaded
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
.
VituVingiSana
#16 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 7:39:46 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 14,908
Location: Nairobi
SMS is dying vs WhatsApp but for those "betting" uses.
I wonder how non-betting SMS were sent!

It will not be easy sailing for SafCom but I wish it the best given I bought some recently!
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#17 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 8:04:21 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 5,671
Location: NAIROBI
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread


@murchr its 2018/2019 sir.


Quote:

Accounting period that can start on any day of a calendar year but has twelve consecutive months (52 consecutive weeks) at the end of which account books are closed, profit or loss is computed, and financial reports are prepared for filing. It may or may not match a calendar year. Called fiscal year in the US.

So a company with a fiscal year that begins April 1, 2017, and ends March 31, 2018 refers to that period as fiscal year 2018, even though it starts in 2017.


I know it doesnt matter but from a professional perspective it is not right. Fiscal Year or financial year 18 is gone. The Safaricom new year started in May
No, it did not start in May. FY2018-19 started on 1st April 2018.



Fair enough, but FY19 not 18-19 there are no double year numbering in the serious financial world
Whatever floats your boat but I was just pointing out that Safaricom's current FY started on 1st April 2018.



Are you saying you actually missed the point i was putting across but felt you had to be combative? Shame on you You can only do that with Obiero.

Back to the books HY19 was fabulous.
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly I did modify my comments...
I noticed the CAPEX was equal to the Depreciation [+/- 1bn] but I need to look at this in further detail.
What suffered?
Voice is still profitable but data is where the real growth is...


SMS revenue suffered but i had a growth of 1.2% not bad given that people are not texting much anyway.

I heard just a tit bit about masoko and its integration to MPESA (didn't get the chance to listen to the whole presentation) but am waiting for the whole presentation to be loaded

Voice and text airtel and Telkom kenya have taken a big chunk of the business.
62% of the phones in use are feature phones aka mulika mwizi which don't have data/whattsap capabilities
Ericsson
#18 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 8:11:56 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 5,671
Location: NAIROBI
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread


@murchr its 2018/2019 sir.


Quote:

Accounting period that can start on any day of a calendar year but has twelve consecutive months (52 consecutive weeks) at the end of which account books are closed, profit or loss is computed, and financial reports are prepared for filing. It may or may not match a calendar year. Called fiscal year in the US.

So a company with a fiscal year that begins April 1, 2017, and ends March 31, 2018 refers to that period as fiscal year 2018, even though it starts in 2017.


I know it doesnt matter but from a professional perspective it is not right. Fiscal Year or financial year 18 is gone. The Safaricom new year started in May
No, it did not start in May. FY2018-19 started on 1st April 2018.



Fair enough, but FY19 not 18-19 there are no double year numbering in the serious financial world
Whatever floats your boat but I was just pointing out that Safaricom's current FY started on 1st April 2018.

I expected a +10% YOY EPS and this was +19%. I hope they can maintain the growth in net turnover even after the increase in VAT/taxes.

Expect a similar growth in dividend payout
VituVingiSana
#19 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 8:15:39 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 14,908
Location: Nairobi
The growth in smartphones seems higher than Mulika Mwizi phones and the 50:50 could be reached by 2021 given the reduction in price (over time) of smartphones to less than $100 for a decent phone

Some of the Mulika Mwizi users may use these as "Mpango ya kando"... Easier to delete the incriminating history!

I hope SafCom can leverage their fiber network in Nairobi to push their services. It doesn't cost Safcom much more to hook up 100 users vs 10 users on a street once the fiber is already servicing a street or building.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#20 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 8:50:16 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 5,671
Location: NAIROBI
VituVingiSana wrote:
The growth in smartphones seems higher than Mulika Mwizi phones and the 50:50 could be reached by 2021 given the reduction in price (over time) of smartphones to less than $100 for a decent phone

Some of the Mulika Mwizi users may use these as "Mpango ya kando"... Easier to delete the incriminating history!

I hope SafCom can leverage their fiber network in Nairobi to push their services. It doesn't cost Safcom much more to hook up 100 users vs 10 users on a street once the fiber is already servicing a street or building.


$100 is alot of money to majority of kenyans.
There is also the element of cost data.
The recent tax measures will slow down growth
Mulika mwizi are going for $20.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
4 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Home | . .. Investor | .. . Groups | .. . SME | . . . Market | .. . Club SK | . ..... About Wazua | . .. Search | . ..Sitemap | . ..Support | . ..Disclaimer | . ..Privacy Policy | . ..Terms of Use | . .. Contact Us
Copyright © 2018 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.