Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Friday, Dec 13, 2019
Investor
We’re investing funds for profit. Join us and wazua!
LATEST DISCUSSIONS
forex investment [10]
Bitcoin: Does it have a future ? [3]
KCB 2018 and Beyond [493]
KenGen HY 2019 [320]
Kenya Power HY 2019 [154]
Kenya Airways...why ignore.. [14133]
Kenya Re - 2018 and beyond [277]
Uchumi - A value play? [444]
Safaricom 2019/2020 [206]
Kenya Economy Watch [2397]
This one -is it Real ama ni sponsored scam [2]
Carbacid HY19 [26]
Jumia IPO and Short Seller Criticism [10]
Banks Stealing IP? [3]
Safaricom MALI. [30]
 
Forum Jump








Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

5 Pages«<345
Barclays - 2018 and beyond
obiero
#81 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 10:30:19 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 6/23/2009
Posts: 12,409
Location: nairobi
FUNKY wrote:
They recently approved a loan for 300 million shillings to choppies super market. I don't have any link to prove but it's a true fact came out of a senior manager in Barclays

The same Choppies which is dying? http://dailyactive.info/...in-choppies-supermarket/
COOP 5,500 ABP12.6; HF 2,000 ABP 5.90; KCB 7,500 ABP 36; KNRE 100,000 ABP 2.90; KQ 392,100 ABP 8.32
FUNKY
#82 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 11:05:37 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 4/30/2010
Posts: 1,561
obiero wrote:
[quote=FUNKY]They recently approved a loan for 300 million shillings to choppies super market. I don't have any link to prove but it's a true fact came out of a senior manager in Barclays

The same Choppies which is dying? http://dailyactive.info/...n-choppies-supermarket/[/quote]

Choppies is not dying there were some problems which they faced but now everything is sorted in two weeks time all their branches will be fully restocked
obiero
#83 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 11:14:13 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 6/23/2009
Posts: 12,409
Location: nairobi
FUNKY wrote:
obiero wrote:
FUNKY wrote:
They recently approved a loan for 300 million shillings to choppies super market. I don't have any link to prove but it's a true fact came out of a senior manager in Barclays

The same Choppies which is dying? http://dailyactive.info/...n-choppies-supermarket/


Choppies is not dying there were some problems which they faced but now everything is sorted in two weeks time all their branches will be fully restocked

In wazua we support arguments with links https://sokodirectory.co...losing-down-who-is-next/
COOP 5,500 ABP12.6; HF 2,000 ABP 5.90; KCB 7,500 ABP 36; KNRE 100,000 ABP 2.90; KQ 392,100 ABP 8.32
FUNKY
#84 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 11:19:47 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 4/30/2010
Posts: 1,561
Sorry I do not have a supporting link but it is true the boardroom wrangles in Botswana have been solved and choppies Kenya will rise again to its glory
VituVingiSana
#85 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 11:30:39 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 16,584
Location: Nairobi
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
babashuge wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
I did my own analysis of banks and realised Barclays is doing better than most of of the listed lenders;
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

How would interest expense be a percentage



Their papers and wallet have been ok for the last few years but what i wonder is whats the deal with all this closing of branches, is it a sign of inability to get new customers, cost cutting to keep the balance sheets pretty, or some part of some moving to digital strategy...

Is it a good thing?




Based on my statistics,the reason is consolidation.They are trying to preserve their capital.They are no longer the market leaders they used to be and have accepted the reality.
They took a more conservative approach thats neither robust(like kcb and equity) nor a mean approach(like co-op).
Going forward,i see them stabilising slowly and buoyed by separation from the UK father,they will try to grow slowly.

Slow growth in a rapidly expanding sector is as good as death
BUT unlike some firms, BBK doesn't have net debt. Doesn't need a Rights Issue. Pays a healthy dividend. Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Sounding like a broken record chief.. How's ARM doing? Likely to resume trading?

ARM? Dead. Kabisa. No bailout. Nothing. Zero. Hapana.
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

BTW, did BBK make loans to ARM or KQ?

Has it ever had recent capacity to lend to any serious Kenyan corporate.. What is their core capital? L:D ratio?

I don't follow/have BBK so I don't look at it in detail BUT the the Dividend Yield is attractive. I can't answer your question but perhaps @Ebenyo can.

BBK (& SCBK) were among the smart banks that didn't lend to a money pit like KQ.

That said, unfortunately my buddy JM of Equity lent 5bn to KQ.
I&M lent 800mn.
NIC lent 3bn.
And I have shares in all 3. I don't know why local banks got sucked in.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#86 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 11:34:38 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 16,584
Location: Nairobi
obiero wrote:
FUNKY wrote:
obiero wrote:
FUNKY wrote:
They recently approved a loan for 300 million shillings to choppies super market. I don't have any link to prove but it's a true fact came out of a senior manager in Barclays

The same Choppies which is dying? http://dailyactive.info/...n-choppies-supermarket/


Choppies is not dying there were some problems which they faced but now everything is sorted in two weeks time all their branches will be fully restocked

In wazua we support arguments with links https://sokodirectory.co...osing-down-who-is-next/

1) Approved does not mean disbursed. Or there may be conditions that allows BBK to ring-fence the loan.
2) "In wazua we support arguments with links" Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly like GoK will definitely buy out KQ's minority shareholders at 10/12/21? d'oh!
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ebenyo
#87 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 6:20:58 AM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 4/4/2016
Posts: 1,738
Location: Kitale
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
babashuge wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
I did my own analysis of banks and realised Barclays is doing better than most of of the listed lenders;
NON PERFORMING LOANS
Barclays-8%
Kcb-7%
Equity-8%
Co-op-12%
I&M-14%

LOAN LOSS PROVISION
Barclays- 4%
Kcb-3%
Equity-3%
Co-op-4%
I&M-5%

INTEREST EXPENSE
Barclays-24%
Kcb-26%
Equity-22%
Co-op-28%
I&M-40%

How would interest expense be a percentage



Their papers and wallet have been ok for the last few years but what i wonder is whats the deal with all this closing of branches, is it a sign of inability to get new customers, cost cutting to keep the balance sheets pretty, or some part of some moving to digital strategy...

Is it a good thing?




Based on my statistics,the reason is consolidation.They are trying to preserve their capital.They are no longer the market leaders they used to be and have accepted the reality.
They took a more conservative approach thats neither robust(like kcb and equity) nor a mean approach(like co-op).
Going forward,i see them stabilising slowly and buoyed by separation from the UK father,they will try to grow slowly.

Slow growth in a rapidly expanding sector is as good as death
BUT unlike some firms, BBK doesn't have net debt. Doesn't need a Rights Issue. Pays a healthy dividend. Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Sounding like a broken record chief.. How's ARM doing? Likely to resume trading?

ARM? Dead. Kabisa. No bailout. Nothing. Zero. Hapana.
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

BTW, did BBK make loans to ARM or KQ?

Has it ever had recent capacity to lend to any serious Kenyan corporate.. What is their core capital? L:D ratio?



18.4%
Towards the goal of financial freedom
Ericsson
#88 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 5:04:44 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 7,736
Location: NAIROBI
Barclays aggressively marketing its mortgage lending product
Ericsson
#89 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:01:41 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 7,736
Location: NAIROBI
23 million shares traded so far today.
Who is buying/selling?
babashuge
#90 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:20:14 AM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 1/4/2019
Posts: 20
Location: Nairobi
I don't know how legit this is, but seeing that Mpesa already works with Wechat pay, is BBK on to something?

http://www.xinhuanet.com...9-09/28/c_138431779.htm
VituVingiSana
#91 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 6:57:30 AM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 16,584
Location: Nairobi
babashuge wrote:
I don't know how legit this is, but seeing that Mpesa already works with Wechat pay, is BBK on to something?

http://www.xinhuanet.com...9-09/28/c_138431779.htm

Kenya's Barclays Bank mulls integrating WeChat Pay, Alipay into digital platform
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#92 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 10:49:15 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 7,736
Location: NAIROBI
VituVingiSana wrote:
babashuge wrote:
I don't know how legit this is, but seeing that Mpesa already works with Wechat pay, is BBK on to something?

http://www.xinhuanet.com...9-09/28/c_138431779.htm

Kenya's Barclays Bank mulls integrating WeChat Pay, Alipay into digital platform

Inconsequential
VituVingiSana
#93 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 5:42:05 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 16,584
Location: Nairobi
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
babashuge wrote:
I don't know how legit this is, but seeing that Mpesa already works with Wechat pay, is BBK on to something?

http://www.xinhuanet.com...9-09/28/c_138431779.htm

Kenya's Barclays Bank mulls integrating WeChat Pay, Alipay into digital platform

Inconsequential
Haba na haba...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Users browsing this topic
Guest
5 Pages«<345
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Home | . .. Investor | .. . Groups | .. . SME | . . . Market | .. . Club SK | . ..... About Wazua | . .. Search | . ..Sitemap | . ..Support | . ..Disclaimer | . ..Privacy Policy | . ..Terms of Use | . .. Contact Us
Copyright © 2019 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.