Home SK - Stocks, Property, Investment Chamas - Investment Groups BIZ - Small Business Soko - Market Wazua Life About Wazua
SIGN IN REGISTER
Friday, Dec 6, 2019
Investor
We’re investing funds for profit. Join us and wazua!
LATEST DISCUSSIONS
Treasury Bills and Bonds [1300]
ARM Cement HY18 [159]
Safaricom MALI. [24]
Kenya Airways...why ignore.. [14123]
Kenya Power HY 2019 [142]
Exchange Bar: Results forecast [2094]
Equity Bank FY 2018 net profit up 5% [116]
Safaricom 2019/2020 [203]
Coop Bank 2019 [66]
East African Cables [39]
Housing Finance: HFCK a diamond in the rough [2039]
Kenya Economy Watch [2387]
Progressive Capitalism - the new economic model? [3]
KenGen HY 2019 [309]
Centum half year result 2019/2020 [37]

Forum Jump

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

6 Pages«<456
My Watch List - Buys in Q4 2019
Balaa
#101 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:58:05 PM

My understanding of short selling is that it involves borrowing a stock, selling the same, and then buying it back at a lower unit price to return it to the owner. Hence, shorting ought to be first enabled by the NSE before players can play. It is really not the brokers' call in the current scheme of things. Forget pedestrian journalists or brokers who are forever peddling unfounded info. Some broker guys crave to sound educated when making presentations at investors' forums. I recently asked one such young lady (the so called reseachers/ financial analysts) who kept bandying buzzwords in her presentation to lend me her Jubilee shares so that I can short'em and she went blank.d'oh!
sparkly
#102 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 7:33:14 AM

Balaa wrote:
My understanding of short selling is that it involves borrowing a stock, selling the same, and then buying it back at a lower unit price to return it to the owner. Hence, shorting ought to be first enabled by the NSE before players can play. It is really not the brokers' call in the current scheme of things. Forget pedestrian journalists or brokers who are forever peddling unfounded info. Some broker guys crave to sound educated when making presentations at investors' forums. I recently asked one such young lady (the so called reseachers/ financial analysts) who kept bandying buzzwords in her presentation to lend me her Jubilee shares so that I can short'em and she went blank.d'oh!

@Balaa you are the one in the woods on this one. Shorting in the case of NSE involves standardized contracts to sell/buy underlying stocks at specific prices in future. The lending (margin) is provided by brokers.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Balaa
#103 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 8:45:29 AM

sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:

@Balaa you are the one in the woods on this one. Shorting in the case of NSE involves standardized contracts to sell/buy underlying stocks at specific prices in future. The lending (margin) is provided by brokers.

Thanks for the titbit @Sparkly. Glad to keep on learning even at my agesmile I'll stick though to my longerm investing strategy.
Now with these kinda news what's your take Sir on BAT? https://www.tobaccofreek...ritish-american-tobacco
Am heavily invested in the firm and have been averaging down, currently @548 in terms of ABP.
VituVingiSana
#104 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:20:57 AM

sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:

This is not a true short.
If I sell BAT short then there is no fixed timeframe.
The "lender" may demand his shares back but that's a different story. Usually, there is no obligation to return the shares to the lender until the short is covered.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Angelica _ann
#105 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:23:06 AM

Balaa wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:

Thanks for the titbit @Sparkly. Glad to keep on learning even at my agesmile I'll stick though to my longerm investing strategy.
Now with these kinda news what's your take Sir on BAT? https://www.tobaccofreek...ritish-american-tobacco
Am heavily invested in the firm and have been averaging down, currently @548 in terms of ABP.

One of my best shares courtesy of one @CNN around 2008 or thereabout.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
sparkly
#106 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 10:33:17 AM

Balaa wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:

"Going Short" and "Going Long" are technical terms which are not necessarily connected to investment period. Going short means you sell an expensive stock believing price will fall. Going long means you buy a cheap share believing price will rise.

Biggest threat to tobacco industry is government regulation and taxation. However cigarette smoking is addictive and so long as it remains legal, people will smoke and BAT will make money. The new regulations, just like the Ngilu Regulations will depress the share price and provide a buying opportunity.

Angelica _ann
#107 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 11:18:48 AM

sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:

"Going Short" and "Going Long" are technical terms which are not necessarily connected to investment period. Going short means you sell an expensive stock believing price will fall. Going long means you buy a cheap share believing price will rise.

Biggest threat to tobacco industry is government regulation and taxation. However cigarette smoking is addictive and so long as it remains legal, people will smoke and BAT will make money. The new regulations, just like the Ngilu Regulations will depress the share price and provide a buying opportunity.

Of course after 2 years, you know what will happen to enforcement. BAT is one of the corporate giants in Kenya. My fear is that they will one day wake up and chase us (buy us out) anytime they feel like - Uniliver style.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Receptor
#108 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 3:54:18 PM

I am watching Sanlam keenly. It has touched a low 0f 16.25 today
Fyatu
#109 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 10:47:34 AM

Receptor wrote:

...............following.
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
sparkly
#110 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 2:29:18 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Receptor wrote:

Following another penny stock? Sad Sad
Fyatu
#111 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 2:35:42 PM

sparkly wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Receptor wrote:

The mantra is.... go hard or go home.
sparkly
#112 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 4:33:43 PM

Fyatu wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Receptor wrote:

Very well if it works for you. You dig the dirt long enough and one day you will hit gold.
Fyatu
#113 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 5:30:35 PM

sparkly wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Receptor wrote:

Very well if it works for you. You dig the dirt long enough and one day you will hit gold.